Sorry about the lack of update recently. I have 4 papers to do for next week, and finals coming up, along with looking for a job, so I just haven't had time. I will try to do a talk once a week or so though if I can.

~ In general unless the anime and manga are very different I will be talking about both together as one in a single post.

~If you want me to discuss a certain show or topic and my opinions on them let me know, by email, PM, or comments, and if I've seen it/know about it I will post about it eventually.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO)

Series: Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO)
Media Type: Anime & Manga
Mangaka: FUJISAWA Tohru
Length: 25 Volumes; 43 Episodes
Genre(s): Comedy, Drama, School Life, Shounen

Introduction:
I don't really remember why I started reading GTO honestly, I think I got it on a whim, and I am glad I did. GTO is probably one of my favorite manga series I have ever read. Now although I am discussing the anime here I will mention I have not actually watched it all yet, currently I am about 1/4 through. There is also a prequel to GTO called GTO: The Younger Days, it was licensed in the US, but has been dropped with 5 big volumes left to come out, haven't read it considering getting it, but I hate getting things that may never be completed. There is also a sequel, again haven't read it want to, and will eventually, though as of now this one is not licensed. Moving onto the summary...

Quick Summary:
GTO also known as Great Teacher Onizuka is obviously about a teacher, and quite a great teacher too. This is a story about Eikichi Onizuka (22yrs old),achieving his odd goal of becoming a teacher. Why is it odd you ask, well Onizuka is an ex-biker/gang member, who was actually the leader of the most feared gang in the city. Oh, and why does he want to be a teacher, you guessed it, to pick up his students, preferably high school girls. So we start out with this goal and enter into the prelude to everything where we enter as a teacher assistant for a week, sort of like a trial period. Onizuka of course gets stuck with the bad class full of gang members and what not, but he resists fighting back and acts professional, until the two leader type kids in the room pull the wrong strings, and then one night they meet Onizuka, who teaches them a bit about respecting their elders. After this incident the class turns angelic, and the rest of the time goes smoothly. So we passed the teacher entrance practice type thing, now we go out to find a real job, but release we do not have a degree so we can only work in private schools. So we apply and eventually get into one, and we get stuck with the class from hell, but unlike his first class this is a psychological hell. Most of his students are quite smart, and hate teachers, making many of the previous teachers leave, and this is where our story begins. Will Onizuka be able to tame the class or will he snap before it's all done, and more importantly will he ever get high High School Girl? Read to find out...

Closing Comments:
Simply put GTO is awesome. It has very few boring parts, and at many points it's hard to predict what will happen next. Like usual the manga has more detail, and is overall better then the anime, but the anime is quiet fun too. Towards the end the vice principle started to get on my nerves, but it wasn't all that bad, he just annoyed me. I would suggest this to anyone would likes the comedy, school life genre even if this is different then the usual. It really is refreshing, and different, which makes it more interesting, also it is very well written and witty at parts. Ok I'll shut up now, you probably already know if you like it or not, so just go buy it you know you want to.

~dinoman411

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Remember this is my opinions/thoughts your free to disagree, but don't be an idiot about it.

*If I said something wrong please let me know and I will fix it, I've seen/read a lot of anime/manga so sometimes it's hard to keep things straight.