Sorry about the lack of update recently. I have 4 papers to do for next week, and finals coming up, along with looking for a job, so I just haven't had time. I will try to do a talk once a week or so though if I can.

~ In general unless the anime and manga are very different I will be talking about both together as one in a single post.

~If you want me to discuss a certain show or topic and my opinions on them let me know, by email, PM, or comments, and if I've seen it/know about it I will post about it eventually.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Taishou Yakyuu Musume

Series: Taishou Yakyuu Musume
Media Type: Anime
Mangaka:
Length: 12 Episodes
Genre(s):

Introduction:
Again this is in many ways similar to the Princess Nine anime that we talked about last post, however there are some key differences that I think really set it apart. Anyway after seeing a youtube clip of this show by chance, I just knew I had to see it. And so I did, unfortunately I couldn't buy it, since it is not licensed in the US, but I probably would if it was. Again this is an older school anime that at it's core is about women rights, but it is told through sports, in this case baseball. I found it to be quite enjoyable and amusing, there really isn't any romance or anything like that in this it's just friendship and baseball.

One Sentence Summary:
Innocent school girls who know nothing of baseball, trying to learn and play baseball versus the boys.

Quick Summary:
Well as started above this show is similar to Princess Nine, which we talked about last time, however this show is much more old school, and actually more about women right/entering the male world then Princess Nine was. Ok first off this show takes place during the Taisho period (1912-1926). In this time period women were thought of as house wives, which is where the whole show begins. One day Akiko gets told by her fiance (Who was a baseball player), that women should learn to be housewives and not even go to school. To prove him wrong Akiko along with here best friend Koume agreed to start up an all girls baseball team at their school. During this time period women would considered too basically be pure housewives and lady like always, no running, much less baseball, so this goes agents everything that was considered to be traditional. As with Princess Nine we also have 3 major arcs the recruitment atc which mainly consists of getting other girls who want to try out baseball to join them. Training arc, which is just that. Unlike Princess Nine everyone of the girls are complete newbies to baseball, none have ever played it before, and most don't even know anything about it. And then finally we have the actual playing arc, where we compete agents the boys to prove we can do it. There are many other minor incidents/problems in it such as getting permission from your parents, but all of these are integrated well and really pull you into the anime more.
Now we all should know at this point (If you have read previous posts) I am a romance fanatic and love my cute romances so of course I need to at least mention the romance in this one. Musume of course has a romance besides the Akiko and fiance one we have one with Koume and ???. Wouldn't spoil who, but its cute and full of awesomeness, unlike most romances this is a pure romance, in which holding hands is considered to be a deep sign of love and affection. I Love it!

Closing Comments:
Ok enough about teh summary, you probably got that I really enjoyed this show. The concept is quite unique in anime, and it is well done. The fact that we don't have total newbies becoming gods in baseball, unlike many shows, is also refreshing. The romance I totally fell in love with and all the characters had a personality, and most of them not a stereotypical one either. I would definitely give this anime a good rating and tell you to try it, so enough babbling already. Go out and watch it.

~dinoman411

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Remember this is my opinions/thoughts your free to disagree, but don't be an idiot about it.

*If I said something wrong please let me know and I will fix it, I've seen/read a lot of anime/manga so sometimes it's hard to keep things straight.